All Saints Church is a Grade II listed building that was built for the new parish of Tuckingmill in 1845. The area had grown in population due to the success of the local mining industries, which were active until the 1920s.
In recent years the condition of the church has been in serious decline and the building was placed on English Heritage’s ‘Heritage at Risk Register’. The external walls were suffering from severe erosion and high level losses of stonework presented significant safety concerns, whilst the condition of the central valley gutter was poor and leaking.
English Heritage were able to award a grant to part-fund the repairs, and the PCC raised the balance of the funding required. Castria provided a full architectural service for the project, including project managing all aspects of the survey and design work. The company also provided architectural, structural engineering, CDM Co-ordinator and contract administrator roles from its in house resources.
Detailed survey investigations enabled the Design Team to develop proposals and assign the limited budget to the most urgent and sensitive conservation works, which included the replacement of the lead valley gutter, flashings and secret gutters, repointing of the parapet coping stones, localised slating repairs, structural repairs to the Tower, stonework repairs to high priority areas of walling, and overhaul of the rainwater disposal system. The project was successfully completed in May 2014.